Friday, February 21, 2014


What is the world coming to? Why would someone do that? How could someone do that, and to a child?  These sentences have been running through my head like crazy for the past few days. With the recent events that have unfolded it really does make you wonder what the world is coming to. Not a day goes by that you can sit and watch the news and not hear something about a murder, or kidnapping, or both. Every time I hear something like that it just put that much more fear for my child into my head, especially with the latest one. I am not even sure how to put into words my sympathy for Hailey Owens family.  My heart breaks for her family. Ever since I heard what happened it has been all that I can think about. My husband and I can’t seem to get it out of our heads. I didn’t know her or her family, yet it has changed the way I will look at life forever. 

I remember when I was I was 7,8,9 years old and going and spending my summers in Kansas City and me, my sister(2 years older than me), and my cousin (who was my same age), would walk to the park by ourselves, go by riding by ourselves, walk to each other’s house by ourselves.  My grandma would always tell us to call her when we got home and since we were young kids who didn’t know any better we would forget and she would call us in a panic in fear that something had happened to us, but we would never think much of it. Being an adult now, I now know that I will never feel comfortable with my daughter going anywhere or doing anything on her own. I will continue to keep Hailey Owens family in my prayers every night.  R.I.P Hailey Owens.

2 comments:

  1. I think this horrible event has changed the way a lot of us see the world that surrounds us. Something like this happening less than five miles from where my family resides scares me at such a level, I can't even describe it. Human life is no longer respected, honored, or protected in our society. Kids killing kids, adults hurting children, I just don't understand it. "Heartbroken" is a good way to describe the feeling I have inside as well. I did not know Hailey or her family, but I feel that as a community, "we" have lost one of our children. My daughter is friends with Hailey's best friend. The world becomes very small when something of this magnitude happens. It really could have been any one of our children. It has led me to make decisions about home protection that I never saw myself making. R.I.P. Hailey Owens

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to respond to the post. This hit this small community hard. The suspect is connect to so many people. My boss' sons were coached by him. The suspect's father is one of my daughter's teachers. The suspect's parents are wonderfully normal and sweet and good people. Hailey's family is suffering, the community is suffering, and the suspect's family is suffering. So many victims. This is a wonderful writing as healing post. Writing is powerful and I am glad to see you using it in this weay. ~Ms. A.

    ReplyDelete